Thursday, August 14, 2008

Poor Bailey


Our poor dog, or should I say poor us. We had to get Bailey's right knee replaced almost a year to the date that we had his left knee replaced. Seriously...if you are not a pet owner they actually do replace pet's joints. He just looks so sad. On the positive side all the pain med's and tranquilizer's make him quite enjoyable to be around. Kind of like a 106 pound accessory. It is such a pain we have to take him outside on a leash for 6 weeks and he has to stay confined for 4 weeks. That wouldn't be so bad except I am home this year and I will have to listen to the whine and not be fooled by the sad sad puppy eyes he gives when he is locked up.





Since this is my first post about Jack (his alternate name given by Justin, "since he is a jack@#* at times") I decided to do a top 10 list of naughtiness.

#1 Scratching Justin's brand new truck door.

Yep 6 claw marks scratched right into the black paint.

#2 Eating Justin's eye drops he had for after his Lasik eye surgery.

We were up at 4 a.m. to keep on the "drop schedule" looking all over for them and then I found the mangled bottle. Dr. Hoopes did think it was quite funny. Not cheap to replace.

#3 With the help of Mocha Bills (Rachel and Ed's Lab) tearing up the carpet, pad and a new rug in our basement. On the flip side they were less than an inch from pushing the coffee table into the T.V screen.

#4 Eating the wiring of our sprinklers, out of the valve box.

He got into the box which Justin and I need a screw driver to get into. He did that twice, even after we put two cement pavers on top.

#5 So many shoe's I lost count.

Never Justin's, just mine, and yes I did have them put away - he learned how to paw open the closet door.

#6 Ripping off many fence slats.

He wasn't smart enough to run away. I would get home from work and there would be a 4 foot hole in the fence. There was Bailey running around with full length fence slats in his mouth.

#7 Eating every binky he can find. At least 15.

Cole LOVES Bailey and now will just give them to him.

#8 Many Holiday decorations have been put to in their grave by Bailey.

He even got up on the couch, stepped on a side table and carefully picked put little pumpkins from a glass hurricane. He eagerly showed me when I scraped up a demolished pumpkin, showed it to him and said "go get it".

#9 Marking the garbage can/cold air vent.

He has been housebroken for years. After we had Cole we came home to find he had marked the Kitchen garbage can (which had baby diapers in it) unfortunately for Justin (since he had to clean it up) when he marked the garbage can he also got the cold air return.

#10 Chewing through wiring under Justin's truck.

I was too afraid to tell Justin, but worried it might have been something important like the brakes (I'm a girl...I don't know anything about cars) so I took a picture and had some guys at my office look at it and they said it was the hitch wiring. Again I will see if he reads our blog, he still to this day doesn't know about that one. So many of you are probably thinking 1. this is a super long post about a silly dog and 2. why is the dog still alive? Well 1. I am running out of things to post and 2. Despite his naughtiness he is a sweet dog. Cole loves him more than we do that is for sure. He gets the paper and he sounds really scary to strangers that come to our door. He did keep barking one morning at 3 a.m. until we let him out - when we did I saw a man pop up from our neighbors car door and take off running down the street. That redeemed him for a while.
I think God blessed us with such an easy, content and great sleeping baby as a reward for not giving up on Bailey. Justin and I agree the first 9 months with Bailey were SO much harder than the first 9 months with baby Cole.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Poor Bailey!! I think you have to be a dog owner to understand. I definately have a running list of all the naughty things Mocha has done (topping off the list is the carpet fiasco at your house!)

Melissa said...

That is such a funny post. I know Chip would get a kick out of it! You know...for a small fee...Chip would be willing to rid you of those problems for good! :) ha ha!

Annie Van Komen Albrecht said...

Hi Melissa,
Yes your cute hubby has offered to "help" us with Bailey before. Last time he said he would actually pay us to take care of Bailey:) He is now sort of an investment. We have to keep him alive to get our $$ worth out of his knees.

Lauren Ricci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren Ricci said...

I feel so badly for dogs after surgery. When Semper was neutered he had to wear the cone and wanted to do nothing more than go under the bed but the cone wouldn't fit. He was so medicated and couln't figure out what was stopping him from going under the bed. He just looked up with those sad eyes and our hearts just melted. It was so sad. I hope Bailey's recovery goes well and that he doesn't give you too many sad puppy eyes. That's the worst.

Thanks for sharing all the naughty things Bailey has done though. It makes me feel like we are not alone in the naughty dog department.

*Leslie* said...

It's a good thing there are people like you that will put up with dogs - I'm not that nice and wouldn't be able to handle it. Cole sure is a cute little guy!

Unknown said...

Hey, I saw you were on my blog!! you should have left a comment. How are you guys doing? How's life without mom and dad VK? Its so hard when they grow up and move out, sniff, sniff. We should get together for a date.