Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My terrible (funny) day

Earlier this week I spent close to a half hour writing about a funny yet terrible day I had earlier this week. It was a very long detailed post, it included my realtor running his car into a tree 3-4 times and some funny quotes from my 3 year old. Somehow it got deleted but not before it posted just the title to my blog. So sorry for the blank post and thank you to Lauren for letting me know. Now you get stuck reading my run-on sentence filled recount, just to warn you there are lot's of these " " " " and these ( ) in your reading future. My blog is kind of like a journal so I like to add events, as embarrassing as they may be.



So long story short (actually now that I am rereading it it is more of a long story long) I ran out of gas AND let my car battery die in the same day - actually within the same hour. It was dark, my kids were sick, it was in the middle of a snowstorm. Mere seconds before I got in my car and it wouldn't drive I had run my smart mouth in front of Justin and our Realtor Barry. I had asked where the nearest gas station was and then threw in a jokingly "well it's not like I am going to run out of gas or anything - that's what you do Justin" comment. Sure enough the next thing I know the two men are laughing at me who had run out of gas. You would think I would learn to keep my smart mouth shut!



Luckily Justin was there in his car so he came to the rescue and drove away to get more gas. The house we had been looking at was up near Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon area, There was 6-8 inches in the driveway since the house was vacant, so Justin had to park about a 1/2 block away and walk this entire time in a mini blizzard and in slippery dress shoes. He filled up the tank, I tried to start it the lights go out and it wouldn't even make a sound. Justin, who knows much more about cars than I do asked - laughing "Did you leave the DVD, overhead lights and headlights on the entire time I was gone? You probably killed the battery" me somewhat snotty - "I really don't think in 20 minutes the battery would die, this car is only a year old!" (again with my smart mouth! and pretty sure I rolled my eyes - ask my mom -that is just what I do, hopefully I will learn). We were both laughing at this point since running out of gas and killing your battery in the same hour is pretty funny. Truthfully -I had been running the Navigation system (what better time to program your radio stations then when you are stranded), DVD player, overhead lights (Cole was scared the dark and sick so I turned them on for him), the mini fog lights (I accidentally turned those on) and the headlights had flipped on since it was dark. I truly didn't think I would run the battery down in 20 min. though.

Justin's car couldn't make it up the drive where my car was to jump my battery. I nicknamed Justin's car the "Bobsled" a few years back since it can't even get up our driveway with 1 inch of snow. My car is getting cold, the kids are getting restless and the snow is still coming down. Justin flags down a car - in a snowstorm - and asks him if he could help us jump my car and that his wife and 2 small kids were stranded. This guy who was pulling into his driveway right across the road says no "he doesn't jump cars". Really? Who wouldn't help someone in a snowstorm jump their car? After telling this story 2 different people have said "Well the guy was probably afraid of Justin" hmmm I don't' think Justin is scary but that is just me. If we buy this house (which we put an offer on) I may have to let our awesome dog............there are about 700 annoying things our dog could do and I can't pick just one at this moment. Justin had a few nice parting words with the guy which included but not limited to, something along the lines of "well enjoy your nice warm house while my wife and kids freeze to death while we walk out in this snowstorm to find some help".

Justin flags down a second set of guys and they said "well since it is Christmas, we will help you" and Justin told them to not put themselves out. It had been a long evening of problems so everyone was a bit edgy. These guys were nice enough to stop for 2 minutes and let us use their battery to get my car started. Once there was power to my car it looked like a flipping float in the Disney's Electric Light Parade. I don't think I could have had 1 more light on.

In the time it took to jump my car the first guy the - "I don't jump cars" - guy as Justin and I like to refer to him now, was back and carrying a car scraper/brush. I asked him super snotty "are you here to brush my car off?" (a strange defensive side comes out when you feel like your kids might be in danger - as Sarah Palin would call it a Mother Grizzly so I blame my snottiness on Sarah Palin) and he said he had just come over to "check things out". Really? You wouldn't help us but you want to come over and be nosey? I think the scraper/brush was for his protection against scary Justin since he didn't actually brush any of the 4 inches of snow off my car. I mean, if I was going to go home, pick out a self defense weapon I would definitely pick a snow scraper/brush. We thanked the two guys that did help us who were really nice and kept telling us about the neighborhood - in the middle of a blizzard.

We get home and the day couldn't have ended any better. We open my parents Christmas Card to a surprise! The online company my dad has used for years and years to send all sorts of cards made a huge mistake and sent out incorrect cards to my parents Christmas card people. My parents have lots and lots of friends and send out quite a few Christmas cards each year s0 there were plenty of people that got an envelope with the return address and names of my parents, but inside the card there was a cute picture of an African American family on the front of the card, and the inside said "Merry Christmas from the Brown family". Then I noticed that the back of Justin's nice dress pants had ripped. He had slipped getting into my car - since he was in dress shoes and there was so much snow - and ripped a 12 inch hole in the back. The pants were ruined and all we could do was laugh. Just a funny day altogether.

I hope you enjoyed the 20 minutes it took to read this rambling post. Please know if your car says 35 miles left before empty - it is lying!!! Unless it is a jeep. I could drive my jeeps around on 0 for miles ages.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Too funny! You just have to laugh when these situations happen because they do at the most random times. I too ran out of gas once...actually on my first date out with Bart! We were coming down from a canyon after hiking and I noticed that my car just wasn't right. I pulled over and thankfully, Bart did too. I had just enough gas to get to a gas station (but not all the way back home). It got worse once we got there because I quickly realized I had forgotten my wallet! Bart kindly paid for my gas (I only let him put $5 worth in) and I guess we could say the rest is history. ;)

Good luck with the house and hope your boys feel better soon!

CHYNOWETH FAM said...

That is funny and sad for you and the boys too! You make me laugh!

Ashlie said...

I tagged you! Details under my post "8 Questions Tag" on my blog.

Alief Praditya said...

very funny, I love it!
Follow me @ codersdownloader.blogspot.com

Arlube said...

hiiii.... i'm from indonesia,

car hire sunshine coast said...

It is a very nice post

sunshine coast florist said...

it is a great post