Thursday, August 26, 2010

It is completely worth the $14.00

About 8 weeks ago I decided (I still have the same C deficient keyboard in case you were wondering) that I would save the $14.00 it costs me to get Cole's hair cut and give him a buzz cut. A few of my friends had said that their husbands buzz their little boys hair so I figured if they could do it so could I - right? Sounds easy enough... doesn't it?

How to give a buzz cut - read up on the settings that are best on the clippers, learned about the angles to hold the clippers to make the hair blend evenly. Had the clippers all charged.There was even a site dedicated to giving yourself a buzz cut, which made it seem that much easier. I'm not going to lie. I felt pretty prepared to give my son his first haircut compliments of mom.

What started out good went horribly wrong when the clippers got stuck in his hair and ripped out a tiny patch.Ouch!! Poor Cole. He screamed, started to cry and I was only 1/4 of the way done. The fact that it made him cry made me feel even worse - the kid has an unusually high pain tolerance. Right before I had Mason he tripped in my bedroom and smacked his head on the dresser . He didn't cry or even make a peep, just jumped up and ran into the kitchen. I followed him in a few moments after to see him sitting at the counter eating fruit snacks with blood running down his head, no crying just bleeding. I'm the mom that always says "Oh he's fine" after he falls off the slide at the playground - but he almost always just jumps up and runs off.

For the next hour or so if I even came near him with the clippers he would completely melt down. Of course I had started at the front of his head so he looked really funny for a few hours before I finally bribed him with enough candy and a movie to let me finish. After this fiasco - I have even more admiration and respect for my friends and family members that are hair stylists.


The rest of the week he kept rubbing his head and saying "Mom hurt my head" and "where my hair go?". The dresser incident had left a scar on his head we never knew was there and kids with large heads - such as Cole's - really shouldn't have buzz cuts. They really shouldn't have super short "google-taught" buzz cuts. I am just glad he is young enough to not remember. So really, it is completely worth the $14.00 to get your kids haircut.

Beautiful Buzz Cut Memories


Cole in the crib with Mason.


This is what happens when my 2 year old tries to pour himself another bowl of cereal. Notice Bailey in the corner just dying to get at the cereal. I had to give Cole credit - he did get most of it in and on top of his bowl.



Cole feeding Mason. He loves to give him a bottle.



Unhappy Mason being held by Cole.


4 comments:

Kate said...

We just took Benjamin to Cookie Cutters and I completely agree with you- totally worth the $14 to save on the embarrassment, explanation of botched hair in photos in the future, and overall self-esteem (both the child's and yours)!

*Leslie* said...

You are so funny! The first time I tried using clippers on Andrew, rather than just scissors (which I did pretty well when he was really little), I totally took a chunk of hair out right on top. He looked ridiculous! One time I gave him a dumb and dumber look on his forehead. Now I just go to cookie cutters and I only do very minimal trimming! Cole actually looks pretty cute, good luck as it grows out!!!

CHYNOWETH FAM said...

that is a great story. you always make me laugh. cole does look really cute even though you are both traumatized.

Lauren Ricci said...

Annie, your blog posts really crack me up. I am sitting here alone reading them laughing out loud. I love all your research you did and if I would trust anyone to cut their kid's hair it would be you! I feel bad Cole got hurt but I do love that he walked around asking where his hair is. He is going to have some funny stories when he is older! Can't wait to see you next week. :)